When we decided to remove our unsafe back deck, you can read more about that in this post, we had no idea that it would impact the brick exterior. We couldn't tell how the deck was actually attached, so it was a hit or miss kind of situation. Needless to say bricks were missing where the existing deck beam sat, and we freaked out a little. We thought this was going to be an expensive repair, but it was fairly inexpensive ringing in around $20. It definitely helped that we already had spare bricks to fill the gaps. Here's what we were working with after the deck was removed.
Overall not too intimidating. Here's what we did to fix this minor set back. First we purchased a bag of 80lb. Type S Mason Mix for a whopping $6.10! From there all we really had to do was remove the half bricks, existing mortar, and dry fit new bricks.
Once the half bricks were removed, the new bricks were dry fit, and the mortar was mixed we we're able to start filling in the gaps!
Make sure your mix is a peanut butter consistency. We used a 10in. x4-5/8in. brick trowel and a popsicle stick to help fill in the sides where the mix would fall out. You can also purchase a 3\8 Tuck Pointing trowel as a popsicle stick alternative.
Once you get all the mortar in the joints let it dry for roughly 30 minutes before attempting to match the depth of the existing mortar joints. This is commonly done by using the handle of the brick trowel to scrape out excess mortar.
Finally, here's what the finished product looks like after the mortar dried.
This is one of those projects that won't be seen in the future because the new deck will cover up the work, but it was a necessity because the holes led into our basement so we needed to fill that barrier from outdoor elements. Love how it turned out and can't argue with the pricetag.